Ok let’s get the I’m-sorry-I-haven’t-posted-in-forever-crap-out-of-the-way-now. I have been truly uninspired for quite some time. Actually I sat with this post open for a few hours before I figured out what exactly to write about. It was about 5 minutes ago and an idea popped up in my head. We have so many custom card makers online. Some are experts, some are novice, all are creative. I thought wouldn’t it be cool to come up with our own set. One that everyone could contribute to. I mean everyone has a specialty. Mine is cut autographs. Then I thought about the state of the industry, what is missing. I believe what’s missing is an iconic set. What is the last truly iconic set you can remember and would want to crack a box of?
Since the companies aren’t going to give us a new “retro” set, and by that I don’t mean a re-hashed old set. I’m talking a brand new old timey design. Something that hasn’t been done to death. Imagine the next Gypsy Queen, Goudy, or Old Judge set. Something new that could be updated on a year to year basis. Of cards that we can make on our own. This is way too big for just one person though. That’s why I am throwing it out to the custom card community. Think of it as a blog bat around, but more interactive.
The way I see it we need the following:
- Come up with a fictional company. The product should be something weird, think along the line of Mayo Cut Plugs.
- Come up with some kind of slogan (like the one above)
- Determine the size of the card (3.5″ x 2.5″ standard size) or go smaller, like business card size.
- Come up with a base set design template.
- Come up with unique SPs or parallels (like cut autographs).
- Everyone make and trade cards.
Maybe I’m just pie in the sky dreaming, or maybe it could be a lot of fun for everyone involved. What do you think?